Please note: These are the 2017 competition rules and regulations. We are currently working on the 2018 regulations, which will be published shortly. Thank you for your understanding!
§ 5c Viola
- The chairman will terminate any presentation exceeding the given time frame.
- Please choose repeats in your own responsibility. The maximum duration of each round must not be exceeded.
- Please provide the jury with copies of the sheet music chosen for the first round of contemporary music.
- Good pianists are made available by the organizer but can also
be brought along by the candidate (at their own cost).
- Please prepare an attractive piece with a maximum duration of 4-5 minutes for the prize winners' concert. Choose from the theme "folk music (dance music)", if possible in connection with your home. For suggestions, see § 2.
A) First Round:
- Two dances (slow - fast) taken from the cello suites by J. S. Bach (BWV 1007 - 1012)
two movements (slow - fast) taken from the Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin by J. S. Bach (BWV 1001–1006)
two movements (slow - fast) taken from the suites for viola sola op. 131d by M. Reger.
- One caprice for viola sola of your own choice by H. Vieuxtemps, F. Herrmann, B. Campagnoli, M. Vieux, or from the 24 caprices by N. Paganini.
- A short contemporary piece (or parts of a larger work) for viola sola composed in the second half of the 20th century or after with a maximum duration of 5-6 minutes (e.g., one movement from the compositions by P. Hindemith-solo sonatas, I. Stravinski - elegy, K. Penderecki - cadenza, G. Kurtag, B. A. Zimmermann).
Duration: max. 15 minutes.
All pieces of the first round have to be performed from memory.
B) Second Round:
- First movement and cadence from the viola concert by C. Stamitz, op. 1, D major or by F. A. Hoffmeister, D major.
- Choose one of the sonatas for viola and piano by J. Brahms:
120/1 F minor
op.120/2 E flat major.
- First movement of one of the sonatas by J. N. Hummel, op. 5, No. 3, E flat major, F. Schubert, D 821, „Arpeggione Sonata", Rebecca Clarke, Viola Sonata, P. Hindemith, op. 11/4 or op. 25/4, D. Shostakovich, op. 147.
Duration: max. 30 minutes.
Concert by heart. Sonatas with notes.
Note: The jury will limit your performance of the Brahms Sonata op. 120/1 or op. 120/2 to a selection of movements. This will be announced immediately prior to your performance.
C) Final with full orchestra:
Please, pick your choice:
- First movement from the viola concert by B. Bartok (only Serly version)
- Second and Third movement from the viola concert by B. Bartok (only Serly
- First movement from the viola concert by W. Walton
Concerts in the final round must be played by heart.